NYS requires selected school districts to report BMI/Weight Status Category information found on your child's annual physical form provided by their doctor. Our district has been selected for this year. We will be required to report information taken from health examinations of students in PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 in the previous school year (2018-2019). No personal identifying information is reported. If you wish to have your child's information EXCLUDED from reporting you must sign, date and return the exclusion form prior to 01/10/2020. Forms will be mailed home in December.
NYS Education Department requires a physical exam for all new entrants and students in Grades Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11; annually for interscholastic sports; and working papers as needed; or as required by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Pre-School Special education (CPSE). Health forms are available in the Health Office of each school, and under the Health Department Tab on the District's Web Site under "Forms". Dental certificates are requested at any time a health certificate is required.These forms must be on file in the health office no later than October 1. Forms will be mailed home in June.
Parents, please schedule appointments so your children can have these exams completed over the summer.
Absence & Tardiness
Under the School Attendance Laws of New York State, parents are responsible for their children's regular attendance and punctuality. Illness of the child, emergency illness in the family, death in the immediate family, inclement weather, and specific religious observations are the only legal reasons for absence.
To report your child's absences, call the attendance office at your child's school. Please send a note with your child when they return to school explaining the reason why they were absent. If the child is absent more than 3 days, please bring a note from the doctor.
Each time a child is absent or tardy, a written excuse is required. This excuse should be sent with the child when he or she returns to school or on the day that he or she is tardy. The note must include the reason for the absence or tardiness, the dates covered, and a signature only by the parent or guardian. Parents should call the school in the morning on each day the student is absent, providing a reason for the absence.Hamilton Parents - (914) 592-6349
Grady Parents - (914) 592-2252
Dixson Parents - (914) 592-1063
During allergy season the following reminders apply: Students are NOT permitted to carry any type of medication (even over the counter medicine) with them on school property. The only exceptions are asthma inhalers and Epipen autoinjectors provided it is approved by the student's health care provider. Proper use must also be demonstrated to the School Nurse. If your child needs to have medicine during the school day, you'll need to speak with the nurse. You will also need a permission slip and doctor instructions completed. If there are any questions please call the school nurse.
OverviewThe district’s School Health Services program supports your student’s academic success by promoting health in the school setting. One way that we provide care for your student is by performing the health screenings as mandated by the State of New York.
During this school year, the following screenings will be required or completed at school:Vision
- Distance and near vision acuity for all newly entered students and students in Pre-K or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.
- Color perception screening for all newly entered students.
- Hearing screening for all newly entered students and students in Pre-K or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.
- Scoliosis (spinal curvature) screening for girls in Grade 5 and 7, boys in Grade 9.
- Parents will be notified of screening results, and recommendations for medical follow up for concerns. Please call the school’s Health Office if you have any questions.
- A physical examination including Body Mass Index and Weight Status Category Information is required for all newly entered students and students in Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11.
- Physical exams are valid for the 12 months prior to the beginning of the current school year.
- A dental certificate is requested for all newly entered students and and in years when health appraisals are required.
NY State law permits schools to request an oral health assessment at the same time a health examination is required. Your child may have a dental check up during the school year to assess their fitness to attend school. See form below. Please complete with your dentist. Return completed form to your child's school health office.