No Shave November
Posted by Alicia Smith on 12/6/2018 3:20:00 PM
Staff sport a new look for a good cause
Several staff members at Alexander Hamilton Junior/Senior High School participated in No Shave November, sporting a new look for several weeks in order to raise money for the fight against cancer.
Eight men on staff locked away their razors for the month and donated money to the cause, and five women also contributed to the initiative.
No Shave November is a non-profit, online organization that encourages participants to forgo shaving or grooming for the month as a way to bring awareness to the disease. The no-shave concept was adopted to focus on hair, which so many cancer patients lose due to their treatment. Men are encouraged to forgo shaving, and let their beards or mustaches grow. The event is not for men alone and women can join as well. Participants donate the money they normally would spend on grooming products.
This was the second year AHHS staff participated, raising close to $500.
Principal Joseph Engelhardt, who was among those sporting facial hair, said this year there was an increase in donations from his staff.
“There was good energy about growing the beards,” Mr. Engelhardt said, adding, science teacher Tony Thompson “led the charge with his positive energy.”
- Dixson Class of 2019 moves on up
- AHHS Prom 2019
- Sports Night: Varsity athletes honored at annual banquet
- Retirees reflect on their time in EUFSD
- Community gathers to celebrate sixth graders
- Class of 2019 Valedictorian and Salutatorian reflect on time in Elmsford, their futures
- Celebrating dads with donuts!
- Hats off to the Dixson drama performance!
- Elmsford selects its Teachers of the Year
- ‘In the Heights’ receives several Metro nominations