The following are some ways to avoid viruses during cold and flu season:
- Avoid exposure – Avoid close contact with people who are sick with fever and cough.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue away and wash your hands.
- If someone in your home is sick, clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces such as door knobs and faucet handles with a bleach solution. This is especially helpful during flu season, and any time.
- Stay home when you are ill to avoid exposing others.
- And of course, get a flu shot if you have not already done so.
The following are non-pharmaceutical interventions that we are advised to take during the outbreak of any communicable disease:
- Stay home when sick
- Sick students and staff should be excluded from school and all school-related activities - It was noted that schools are not expected to screen students or staff to identify cases of COVID-19.
- Hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Routine cleaning of our schools
Health officials said that if one comes into contact with someone who tested positive, you should:
- You must stay at your residence all the time, during the period you are quarantined. You should avoid having company at your residence, and keep a log (list of names, phone numbers, and addresses) of anyone who goes into or out of your residence while you are under quarantine. Others in your residence are not restricted from their activities.
- You will need to take your temperature with a thermometer twice a day: in the morning and later in the day, and record your temperature in a temperature log.
- You can live with other family members in your home, but you should sleep in a separate bedroom and use a separate bathroom until the quarantine period is over.
- During this time period, you should avoid close contact of social and dining activities. Food should be delivered to your individual quarters.
- You may walk outside your house on your own property, but should not come within six feet of neighbors or other members of the public. You must refrain from walking in your neighborhood.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 include: fever, cough, and / or shortness of breath. If you develop any of these symptoms, you should put on a face mask immediately to prevent other people in your household from becoming sick.
- If you have a true emergency, call 911 and let the person that answers know that you are under quarantine for COVID-19.
- If you have any questions or if you need assistance with daily living (e.g. food, laundry, etc.), you can call 311 and ask for assistance.
- If you have concerns about your employment status, SCDHS can provide you with a letter asking your employer or school to excuse you from work or school.
For more information about novel coronavirus, go to: